Accidental falls can happen for many reasons. Sometimes they happen because we may be having a clumsy day or simply not paying attention. Falls are the #2 leading cause of accidental deaths in the world. Falling is not limited to the aging process; toddlers learning to walk and even young children on playground equipment are candidates. Most accidental falls occur for reasons we might be able to control:
- Certain medications may have side effects causing dizziness. Read the labels, check with your pharmacist, and most important, tell you doctor about all your medications including supplements.
- Poor balance may be caused by a number of things. Ear infections, low blood pressure, arthritis, and blurred eyesight are just some.
- Lack of activity allows muscles to atrophy; regular exercise, even daily walking helps keep muscles and bones strong and resilient. Always check with your doctor before beginning an exercise regimen.
- Improper footwear can contribute to a mishap. High heels put the body into imbalance. Flip flops contribute to multiple foot issues. Even poorly fitting sneakers can put you at risk.
- Safety at your workplace, school and home is important. Check for loose rugs, spills, poor lighting, and walkway hazards.
- If you’ve had a previous fall, you may have weakened a joint, muscle, tendon, or ligament. Proper physical therapy to strengthen a particular area may help avoid future falls.
- Finally, the aging process makes us more susceptible to accidental falls so it’s important to maintain a healthy diet, keep weight in check, reduce stress levels, and exercise regularly.
If you do fall, SOA is here to help you get back on your feet. With 12 physicians in 3 locations, we are able to offer same day appointments. We treat children as well as adults. Read more about our physicians HERE.