At Sarasota Orthopedic Associates, we see so many patients of all ages with arthritis on a daily basis and unfortunately, it’s a condition most of us will eventually experience. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) published these alarming statistics:
- 1 in 2 people will have osteo-arthritis by the time they reach 85 years of age
- 2 in 3 people who are obese will experience arthritis in their lifetime
- 1 in 4 will develop hip arthritis
- 1 in 250 children under 18 years of age already have some form of arthritis
- 50% of adults report having arthritis
- By 2030, over 65 million people will have a physician diagnose them with arthritis
While there is no current cure, there are ways to relieve the inflammation and discomfort accompanying arthritis. The most important protocol you are able to control is diet.
Foods to avoid are sugar, alcohol, MSG, white carbohydrates, red meat, trans-fats (found in many packaged foods … read the labels!), tomatoes, and fatty acids (found in certain oils and dressings).
Your best diet to help contain inflammation should include ginger, walnuts, red bell peppers, carrots, beans, fish, fiber, watermelon, flax seed, apples, cherries, and berries. Read more here for more ways to manage your arthritis.
At Sarasota Orthopedic Associates, we have 3 locations with 12 physicians who are able to help you better manage and treat your discomfort from arthritis. We offer same day appointments. Click here to learn about our facility and physicians or, call us at 941-951-BONE to schedule an appointment.